Independence Northwest has received notice of a planned protest of the budget cuts – this Thursday, downtown Portland. Brokerages are affected by the cuts by a loss of 10% of our administrative funding and removal of Quality Assurance funding from our contract with the State of Oregon.
The following notice came from UCP’s Family Support Program:
A rally will take place in Portland’s Pioneer Square at 12 o’clock Noon on Thursday July 15, 2010 to protest the abrupt budget cuts by Governor Kulongowski. Our governor passed these budget proposals with only 5 days for review, no modifications, and no opportunity for public response.
The following cuts to human services started immediately on July 1, 2010:
- Elimination of meals programs for low-income seniors and people with disabilities. (i.e. Meals on Wheels.)
- Elimination of in-home personal care services for low-income seniors and people with disabilities on Medicaid (i.e. help with bathing, eating, dressing, using the restroom, etc.)
- Reduce in-home services in the Medicaid system by 75% (i.e. meal preparation, chores, etc)
- Complete elimination of Oregon’s Project Independence.
- Further cuts to community and county providers who are administering the state’s programs which serve these individuals.
Please join other supporters & protesters at 12 o’clock noon on Thursday July 15, 2010 for the first rally to protest these cuts. Meet at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland. For more information or to help with this and other rallies, please email the sponsoring group at: email@example.com.