Everyone Cooks: Let’s Get Cooking!
- What: Join a cooking skills practice group!
- Where: Hollywood Senior Center, 1820 NE 40th in Portland
- When: Third Wednesdays of each month Nov – June from 4 – 7PM
Interested in learning and practicing how to prepare a variety of delicious and healthy dishes without a range or too much knife work? Come learn with us!
- $5 per session – all fees go toward covering the cost of ingredients
- Accessible for all – We’ll use techniques and utensils well suited to adults with disabilities, seniors and those with limited space or appliances.
- Cook up community! – Be part of a welcoming, positive social environment with neighbors of all ages and backgrounds
Please note: There’s a preliminary organizing meeting from 4 – 5PM on November 6th!
This group is led by Eleanor Bailey, an adult experiencing Down Syndrome and an advocate for people with disabilities. The group is also supported by Kitchen Commons, the Hollywood Senior Center and students in the Wholistic Nutritional Program at the Wellspring School for Healing Arts.
Please bring your own personal support if needed. If your support person will be enjoying the meal as well, please have him or her contribute $5 to cover the cost of ingredients as well.
RSVP before each session – reserve a spot by calling the Hollywood Senior Center at 503.288.8303!
Independence Northwest continues its community outreach on big changes to brokerage and I/DD services in Oregon. In the last eight weeks we’ve held nine highly successful community forums presenting to nearly 190 community members – and we’ve got two more scheduled for the month of November! (We will also be presenting details about the changes at the upcoming Portland Public Schools Transition Fair the week of Thanksgiving. Details forthcoming.)
Join us if you’d like to learn more about the K Plan, the upcoming needs assessment requirement, new options for case management, plans for a new universal ISP, changes to provider payment and rates and much more.
Remember to RSVP by calling our front desk 503.546.2950. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited, so reserve your space at one of our evening or day sessions today!
Big thanks to all the families, customers, providers and community members who have joined us in the past few weeks. Your questions, comments, concern and input continue to make a difference in the restructure of the I/DD system!
Providers, Customer Employers, and Community Members,
As you have likely heard by now, the State of Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) has been moving toward changing the way providers of brokerage services are paid.
Since 2001, brokerages have operated as a fiscal intermediary for our customers and we have been responsible for provision of provider payment. For many years, DHS has shared its intent to update its systemic capabilities and pay providers of brokerage services directly instead. It looked like 2013 would be the year things changed.
In May of 2013, DHS sent out a missive to all Personal Support Workers, which included a copy of a Personal Support Worker Provider Enrollment Application and Agreement. The mailer stated “completion of this document is required for you to be on the State Registry” and that “by signing this agreement the state will issue a provider number which will be necessary for payment on or prior to October 1, 2013.”
However, the state’s payment change efforts have experienced continued delays and as a result of these delays payment will continue through brokerages for the time being. We are being told that January 1st, 2014 is the new target date for when you’ll be paid directly through the State.
Our office has begun receiving multiple calls from providers concerned about their payment and where it will come from as a result of the registry and the October 1st, 2013 deadline. We request two things:
1. Please continue to send your invoices and time sheets to Independence Northwest as you always have. We will follow our regular payment schedules for providers and you should experience no disruption in payment.
2. If you have not yet completed a Provider Enrollment Agreement, we implore you to do so. While we can’t be certain the new January 1st, 2014 date will be met, we know that eventually you *will* receive payment through the DHS payment system and you must be set up in order to avoid delay in payment. It’s imperative you have a provider number assigned to you before being paid. Please take a moment to take care of this important piece of business.
Thank you for your continued partnership, efforts and support of our customer base. And thank you for your patience during the current transition.
*Please note: We were told by state employees that provider organizations who are not already set up in the state’s payment system will receive a provider number via the state’s licensing unit. If you have questions about this, please contact Larry Deal at larry.deal(at)independencenw.org. Thanks.